1852 - 1948 (96 years)
||Stephen (Augustus) Agelasto |
||03 Sep 1852
||Syros, Cyclades Islands, Greece
- Argenti says 4 Sep 1852. 3 Sep 1853 is given by Stephen himself in his application for British naturalization, but this is too close to the birth of his sister.
- Birth/baptism registered on Syros (no date given) 
||22 Sep 1948
||London, England UK
- Obituary in The Times [London], 23 Sep 1948. Funeral at St Sophia.
- A legal notice appeared following his death: Particulars to be sent to Broad & Son, 1 Great Winchester St. EC 2, London (The Times [London], 13 Dec 1948.
- The estate of Stephen Augustus Agelasto, 90 Gloucester Terrace, London W2, stockbroker (retired), d 22 Sep 1948, was administered by Mrs. Lucy Casdagli (Broad & Son, 1 Great Winchester St, EC2, solicitors) (London Gazette, 3 Dec 1948).
||25 Sep 1948
||Greek Orthodox Cemetery, West Norwood, London, England UK
- burial plot no. 34942, sq. 42, reg. pg. 18810, no. 79644 
- Residence: Jan 1883-May 1885, 9 Chapel Place, W., London; May 1885-Nov 1886, 96 Gloucester Terrace, W., London; Nov 1886-1891, 71 Gloucester Terrace, Paddington, London, England; 1901-1949, 185 Gloucester Terrace, Hyde Park, London, England, with phone; at DOD, 90 Gloucester Terrace.
- Occupation: 1881, cotton broker; 1886-1895, manager of London Branch of the Bank of Constantinople, 19 Great Winchester St.; 1900-1905, stockbroker with Greatorex & Co., 10 Throgmorton Ave., London [same business address as 5th cousin/stockbroker John Michael Agelasto]; (1900 city directory address: 7 Drapers' Gardens, London); stockbroker; 1909-1949, 20 Gt Winchester St., London. The 1914, 1915 city directories say "member of the stock exchange, trades directory, stock and shares broker." 
- British Naturalization: Stephen Augustus Agelasto, Greece, 26 Mar 1889, residence London; home office paper B5730; certificate A6076. "...subject of Greece, having been born at Syra, and is the son of Augustus Stephen Agelasto, a native of Chios, Turkey, and Lucie Agelasto, a native of Syra, Greece, of the age of thirty five years, manager of the London branch of the Bank of Constantinople, is married, and has two children, under age, residing with him, viz: Lucy Agelasto, aged 3 years, Augustus Agelasto, aged 9 months." 
- Naturalization: Listed as 'of Greece' living in London, he became a British citizen only after a flurry of correspondence between parties in his attempt to meet statutory requirements in establishing his parentage. He stated that his father, Augustus Stephen, "was born on the Isle of Chios in the Kingdom of Turkey [Greece is marked through]."
- Carolyn Agelasto Hughes has identified the photo in the family album of a man, in hat with cigarette, know affectionately as 'uncle Stef,' believed to be Stephen Augustus.
- Member of the Baltic Exchange 1886. Georgiadis records him as of the 'Saint Tryphon' branch of his family.
- "John Agelasto and Stephen Agelasto, church wardens," were with the Greek Minister at Buckingham Palace to give their congratualations on the latter's marriage (The Times [London], 10 Dec 1888). S.A.Agelasto is listed as a churchwarden for Aghia Sophia, 1887 and 1888.
- In 1895 SA Agelasto served on a committee concerning the Alcoy & Gandia Railway (The Times [London], 8 Jan 1895].
- SA Agelasto contributed £5 several years to the Chios Earthquake Relief fund (The Times [London], 8 Feb 1893, 10 May 1894];£10 to the Duke of Gloucesters Red Cross and St. John Fund (The Times [London], 18 Jul 1940), and £20 to the Lord Mayor's Greek Relief Fund (The Times [London], 5 Dec 1940).
- Mr. S Agelasto attended a memorial after the assassination of Greek King George I (The Times [London], 19 Mar 1914]. He was among members of London's Greek community who had met with the King on his visit to London (The Times [London], 16 Nov 1905].
- He and his wife attended the funeral of Pandia Calvocoressi (The Times [London], 5 Apr 1937).
- He and his wife attended the funeral of Eustratius 'Strati' (Pandia) Ralli, according to The Times (London), 10 Mar 1932.
- S.A. Agelasto held debenture bonds, Lake Copais company, Ltd., The Times (London), 19 Jan 1894, p 12.
- The 1861 England census: 175 Grove Street, Liverpool, household headed by Augustus Agelasto, 45, cotton broker, b. Chios; wife Lucy Coronio, 30, b. Constantinople; sons Stephen, 8, b. Syros; John, 6; George, 4; daughters Despina, 5; Henrietta, 7; Hellen, 2 Mo, all b. Liverpool; & 3 servants.
- 1871 England census [West Derby]: 15 Locherby Road, Liverpool, household headed A. S. Agelasto, 55, cotton broker; wife Lucy, 40, both b. Chios; son Stephen, 18, b. Syros; Harriet, 17, b. Manchester; John, 15; Delphina, 14; Helen, 10, Triphon, 9; Aspasia, 7; Lucy, 5, all scholars, b. Liverpool; & 5 servants. Lived adjacent to the C. T. Rodocanachi family and two doors down from the Constantine M. Ralli family.
- 1881 England census [West Derby rural]: Locherby Road, West Derby, Lancashire: Augustus S. Agelasto, 66, married; unmarried sons Stephen, 28, both , cotton brokesr, b. Greece; John, 26, cotton salesman, b. Liverpool; Tryphon, 17; daughters Aspasia, 16; Lucie, 14, all scholars, b. Liverpool; & 2 servants.
- 1891 England Census: 71 Gloucester Terrace, London, household headed by Stephen A. Agelasto, 39, bank manager, b. Greece, naturalized British subject; wife Caterina, 31; son Augustus, 3; daughter Lucia, 5; Juliet, 8 mo.; all b. London; brother John, 37, unmarried, civil engineer, b. Liverpool; & 5 servants.
- The 1901 England Census shows for the household living at 185 Gloucester Terrace, Paddington, London: Stephen A Agelasto, 46, head, stock & share broker, born Greece, naturalized British subject; wife Caterina, 39; children Lucie, 15; Augustus, 13; Juliet, 10, all born London; his mother-in-law Julia A Ralli, 73, widow, born Marseille, France; and a nephew, Constantine Scarafoglu, 18, commercial clerk, born Constantinople; and seven domestic servants.
- 1911 England census for the household at 185 Gloucester Terrace (19 rooms), Bayswater, Hyde Park, London W, headed by Stephen Augustus Agelasto, 57, b. Syra, naturalized Brit, married 26 years, 3 children born alive, 3 still living; stock broker; wife Caterina, 49; son August S, 23, bank clerk; daughter Juliet, 20, all b. London; mother-in-law Julia A Ralli, 83, widow, b. Marseille; 7 servants.
- The 1939 England and Wales Register for the address 90 Gloucester Terrace, Paddington, London, lists Stephen A Agelasto, b. 3 Sep. 1852, Stockbroker and wife Caterina Agelasto, b. 3 Mar 1861.
- 1921 Census of England and Wales includes: Stephen Augustus Agelasto, b. 1852, Greece; Caterina Agelasto, b. 1861, London; Juliet Agelasto, b. 1890, London; in a household in Paddington, London.
- Stephen Augustus Agelasto [71 Gloucester Terrace] appears on the 1890, 1891, 1892 1895, 1896 electoral register, Paddington parliamentary division, Westminster county/borough electoral lists, Great Britain; [26 Austin Friars; abode 185 Gloucester Terrace, Hyde Park] 1899, 1900; [9 Throgmorton avenue] 1904; [10 Throgmorton avenue] 1905, 1907; [20 Great Winchester Street] 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914, 1918, 1906, 1908, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936 Paddington South/Westminster; 1918, 1919 Paddington and St Marylebone/Westminster; 1922, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927 Paddington/Westminster; 1928 Paddington and Poplar/Westminster; 1929, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935, 1936, 1937, 1938 Paddington/Westminster; [90 Gloucester Terrace] 1939 Paddington South/Westminster; 1945, 1946, 1947, 1948 Paddington/Westminster.
- They attended the funeral of Emmanuel M Rodocanachi, according to The Times (London), 18 Feb 1932.
- He was an executor of the estate of Alexander Alexander Ionides.
- At age 14 he was selected to be the God-father of his youngest sibling, Lucia.
- Agelasto (either he or his younger brother John) was awarded the Upper School Class Prize, for Class 5, in the Christmas prize distribution at Liverpool College, Shaw Street (Liverpool Mercury 23 Dec 1871).
- Agelasto, Stephen A., 185 Gloucester terrace, Hyde Park W, appears in Royal Blue Book (London, May 1911).
- In his memoir Emmanuel Theodore Casdagli refers to Stephen Agelasto as "a wealthy stockbroker who, with his wife, made a delightful pair." (Daphne Casdagli).
||7 Jan 2022 |
||Augustus (Stephanos) Agelasto, b. 1815, Chios, Greece d. 04 Mar 1884, Constantinople/Istanbul Turkey (Age 69 years) |
||Loukia (Zannis) Coronio, b. 12 Oct 1831, Syros, Cyclades Islands, Greece d. 23 Dec 1912, Constantinople/Istanbul Turkey (Age 81 years) |
||21 Aug 1851
||Manchester, Lancashire, England UK
- Argenti says 9 Aug 1851.
- Entry: 016/015; Marriage Witnesses: Emmanuel Dontas and Despina L. Ziffo; priest: Daniel Petroulias. 
- Rev. D. Petrulia presided
- Marriage announcement in Manchester Guardian, 23 Aug 1851, p 11.
||Augustus & Lucy Agelasto descendants|
family tree created by John Tryphon Agelasto
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Aikaterini (Ambrosios) Ralli, b. 03 Mar 1861, London, England UK d. 26 May 1948, London, England UK (Age 87 years) |
||12 Jan 1885
||Greek Church, rue Maurice Korsec 13, Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur,France
- Marriage announcement appeared in The Times (London), 13 Jan 1885, p 1.
- A certificate is not indexed in the Marseille registry for this event.
|+||1. Loukia (Stephen) Agelasto, b. 10 Oct 1885, 96 Gloucester Terrace, London, England UK d. 22 Jun 1957, Southport, Merseyside, England UK (Age 71 years)|
| ||2. Captain Augustus (Stephen) Agelasto, MC , b. 17 Jan 1888, London, England UK d. 08 Nov 1916, Somme, Picardy, France (Age 28 years)|
| ||3. Julia (Stephen) Agelasto, b. 06 Jul 1890, London, England UK d. 31 Aug 1926, London, England UK (Age 36 years)|
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||18 Feb 2010 |
|Birth - 03 Sep 1852 - Syros, Cyclades Islands, Greece
|Marriage - 12 Jan 1885 - Greek Church, rue Maurice Korsec 13, Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur,France
|Death - 22 Sep 1948 - London, England UK
|Burial - 25 Sep 1948 - Greek Orthodox Cemetery, West Norwood, London, England UK
||Stephen Augustus Agelasto|
||Tryphon Emmanuel Agelasto and Stephen Augustus Agelasto|
||Lucy (John) Agelasto, Joan Gosling Agelasto, Stephen Augustus Agelasto, and Tryphon Emmanuel Agelasto|
Stephen Augustus Agelasto lived at 96 Gloucester Terrace, Bayswater, London, England in 1885 (photographed in 2008).
||71 Gloucester Terrace, London, England|
After his father's death Stephen Augustus Agelasto married and lived at this address, 1886-1891. Apparently he was joined by his younger brother John, until he himself got married a few years later; photo 2009; it was being renovated in July 2008.
||155-177 Upper Parliament Street, Liverpool, England|
Falkner Terrace (Class II listed 1975) is the 155-177 block (north side, odd numbers) of Upper Parliament Street at Grove Street; photo 2009. Augustus S. and Lucy Agelasto lived at 171-175 Falkner Terrace where their children John, Despina, George, Leonora, Tryphon, Aspasia and Lucia were born, from 1854-1866.
||15 Lockerby Road, Liverpool, England|
St. Sebastians Parochial Club; photo 2009. This address in 1871 and 1881 was home to the Augustus S. Agelasto family. In the latter decades of the 19th Century Lockerby [Locherby] Road was in the rural countryside east of Liverpool center. Numbers 13 and 17, on either side, are Class II listed buildings (1975).
||96 Gloucester Terrace, Bayswater, London, England|
detail; photo 2009
||7-8 Chapel Place, W., London, England|
photo 2009; The industrial building (left) is where no. 9 may have been. Stephen and Caterina Agelasto lived at 9 Chapel Place until May 1885.
||Gloucester Terrace, Hyde Park, London, England,|
photo 2009; the 180 block (odd numbers) have given way to a housing block. Augustus S and Catherine Agelasto lived at 185 Gloucester Terrace, Bayswater, with their extended family in 1901.
||Great Winchester St., London, England|
British Library archive photo
||Drapers' Gardens, London, England|
Architect's rendering; this future version of Drapers Gardens, is underway. The junction of Throgmorton Avenue and Copthall Avenue, was from 1967 the site of an office building, itself demolished in 2007. Stephen A Agelasto, stockbroker, operated out of 7 Drapers' Gardens, London (1900).
||Drapers' Gardens, London, England|
1960s skyscraper, demolished 2007.
- [S119] Philip P. Argenti, Argenti 1955, (London Oxford University Press).
Included in Philip Argenti's Agelasto family tree, number 106.
- [S107] UK National Probate Calendar Indexes, 1858-1966, 1973-1995.
- [S132] 1861 England Census.
- [S131] 1871 England Census.
- [S130] 1881 England Census.
- [S133] 1891 England Census.
- [S129] 1901 England Census.
- [S124] 1911 England Census.
- [S162] 1921 Census of England and Wales - 19 Jun 1921.
- [S128] 1939 England and Wales Register.
- [S39] Greek State Archives (Syros).
Alphabetical Register of Births/Baptisms in Hermopolis, 1828-1858: 231/15413
- [S101] West Norwood Cemetery registers, London, England.
- [S15] Georgios Georgiadis, The Holy Church of St John of the Chiots in Galata , (Constantinople, 1898 [in Greek]).
- [S94] UK National Archives.
- [S86] Kyriakos Metaxas, editor, The Greek Gazette, (London, England), May 1996, 6.
Marriage No.: 0005
This site powered by v. 14.0.3, written by Darrin Lythgoe © 2001-2023.
Maintained by .