1898 - 1918 (19 years)
||James John (John) Scaramanga |
||25 Jul 1898
||Meadvale, Redhill, Surrey, England UK
||10 Jul 1918
- He was commissioned into the Special Reserve and joined the RFC as an Observer flying FE2's with 20 Squadron. In August 1917 the squadron re-equipped with the Bristol Fighter. On 11 April he was wounded and was the posted to 22 Squadron. Between 19 June and 10 July they shot down six German aircraft and sent another one down out of control. On 10 July they shot down another but James was seriously wounded and died later. He was credited with 12 'Kills' and probably only missed an award due to his death.
- Estate valued at £242 1s. 5d. went to John Scaramanga esq. [father]. 
||Aire Communal Cemetery, Aire, Pas de Calais, France
- Lieutenant in Royal Flying Corps (22nd Squadron) during WWI.
- WWI: 2nd Lt. J.J. Scaramanga, Spec. Res. 3 Nov. 1916 (London Gazette 21 Nov 1916); 
- The 1901 England Census reports the Scaramanga household at Tiltwood House, Crawley Down, Sussex included: Elisa Scaramanga, head, 58, widow; children Marigo, 38, both born London; Ambrose, 31, shipowner; Calliope, 29; John, 32, shipowner, his wife Louise (born Russia, British subject), 26, their sons George, 3, and James, 2, both born Sussex; 5 domestic servants.
- 1911 England census: boarders at Lexden House [later named Chalvington House School], Seaford, Sussex, included George John Scaramanga, 13; [brother] James John Scaramanga, 12, both b. Redhill, Surrey.
||10 Jul 2012 |
||John George (George) Scaramanga, JP , b. 21 Apr 1868, Crawley Down, Sussex, England UK , d. 12 Nov 1947, Seaford, Sussex, England UK (Age 79 years) |
||Elizabeth (James) Yeames, b. 30 Mar 1875, Taganrog, Rostov Oblast, Russia , d. 12 Oct 1959, Nightingale Annexe, Beach Road, Littlehampton, Sussex UK (Age 84 years) |
- [S49] Χίος και Χίοι διά μέσου των αιώνων, Χρυσοβελόνης, Φίλιππος Λ [Philip L. Chryssoveloni], (digital document, originally published Athens,1937), 80-81.
- [S82] UK National Probate Calendar Indexes, 1858-1966.
- [S73] UK National Archives.